Our Stanwix Veterans and Men's Club, Inc. is an organization that reaches far back to the World War II days of 1942 and a community club identified as Stanwix Civic Club. That strictly civilian organization of Stanwix residents banded together for the purpose of performing duties supposedly required as "Black-Out" Wardens, Air-Raid Wardens, "Air-Raid" Siren Operators and "Sand Bucket" Inspectors. That's right - a 40 foot air-raid siren was erected by the U.S. Government on the eastern side of the then District #11 Stanwix School, with responsibilities for it's operation deeded to the Stanwix Civic Club.
Was the Stanwix Civic Club a success? It was indeed. Not everything during World War II was work and effort, as can be determined by the vast number of beer cases turned over to the succeeding Club in 1946.
The successor club in 1946 was an unincorporated organization using the name "Stanwix Veterans Club". We accepted the assets of the Stanwix Civic Club, which consisted of empty beer cases and $23.00 as their total treasury. A definite invaluable asst was their best wishes and good advice that we would soon value highly.
From the start, with the building of the first clubhouse, the officers anddirectors looked to the future. When the state took the land and clubhouse to build a new road, the members rebuilt a bigger building. As the years rolled on, the club was renovated on the inside and added on to on the outside. Land was acquired for a larger parking lot. A large pole barn was added for club functions. We have added horseshoe pits, a bocce court, and a volleyball net. Many other organizations use our facilities for their club functions. We host many weddings and parties every year.
Since the start of the Stanwix Veterans Men's Club, we have a club that we can be proud of, and we are!